understanding your medical insurance policy

3 Facts You Need To Know When Choosing A Medicare Supplement For Your Disabled Child

by Peppi Halko

If your son or daughter under the age of 22 is disabled, he or she might be eligible for social security payments. When they have been receiving those payments for at least two years, it may now be possible to qualify for Medicare. Given that Medicare is a wonderful and important resource for disabled persons but does not cover all of your medical expenses without secondary coverage, a supplement to it is often recommended. Therefore, it is a good idea to consider the following facts when you need to make the right choice for your son or daughter's ability in the future to obtain timely and affordable health care.  

In Order To Get A Medicare Supplement, Your Child Needs To Have Medicare Parts A And B

It is important to note that before you can sign your child up for a Medicare Supplement, he or she must have coverage under Medicare parts A and B. Part A provides coverage for most of a person's medical expenses, including those accrued in hospitals and as the result of home health care.

Part B is used to pay for the actual care your son or daughter needs, such as from doctors, physical, occupational and speech therapists. It also covers some or all of the cost of the adaptive equipment that your child needs, such as physical braces, walkers, wheelchairs, etc. 

Recipients Are Automatically Enrolled In Medicare Types A And B After Two Years Of Payments 

The general rule of thumb for any recipient of social security disability payments is that Medicare is only available after payments have been received for 24 consecutive months. Fortunately, eligible persons, including disabled children, are usually enrolled in those programs automatically at the appropriate time.

However, if you do not get verification of their insured status the first month after their two-year anniversary of receiving payments, contact the Social Security Administration to determine why. When your child has Medicare types A and B, it is possible to sign up for part C. As explained below, Medicare Type C is the supplemental plan to provide extra coverage for specific health concerns.   

Medicare Type C Exists To Cover Gaps In A Person's Existing Coverage

Medicare Type C is also known as Medigap insurance and as a Medicare Supplemental Policy. There are numerous options to choose from, and popular options for disabled children often include Supplemental type F, which helps to pay for the deductibles for Types A and B Medicare. Other options to consider, especially if your child has high medical costs, are Types K and L. They limit your total cost of out-of-pocket expenses, so they are a good choice if your child has high medical costs or multiple health challenges.         

If you and your child travel out of the country, you might benefit from one of the supplements that can be used outside of the United States, which include C, D, F, G, M and N. In addition, all of the supplemental plans provide coverage for some or all of the cost for at least the first three pints of blood that are necessary. Given the many different options and the urgency of making the right choice in a timely manner, you should plan to speak with an insurance expert to be sure of that decision.   

In conclusion, disabled children who receive social security benefits for at least two years are often eligible for Medicare. When that happens, it is important to be sure that your son or daughter has the most appropriate supplemental plans for their needs. In order to do so, you need to be aware of the information discussed above. For more information, contact a company like Alabama Medicare Plans.